I was one of the big fans of Firefox but since the release of Firefox 6, I have to switch to Google Chrome. Firefox 6 kept freezing and halt my Windows system. Firefox is quick to notice how Firefox has been left far behind by other web browsers such as Opera and Safari in term of speed.
Now Mozilla releases Firefox 7.0 that has much better performances. Another interesting point to note is that Firefox 7.0 is released without any new features, a bid to catch up with the builds number of Internet Explorer, Chrome and Opera. Official announcement will be relased soon but you can download it right now from the direct links below.
What makes Firefox 7.0 better than its predecessors?
- Increased speed due to significantly improve memory usage (up to 50% better)
- Firefox Sync - Changes in password and bookmark are reflected almost instantly
- New rendering backend introduced to speed up Canvas operations
- Added support for text-overflow: ellipsis
- Added an opt-in system - Users can participate to improve future build by sending performance data to Mozilla.
- Web Timing specification is now supported
- Several stability issues fixed
You should be able download Firefox 7.0 by now through its Firefox system update (not yet available as this post is written) or you can use the direct download links below.